Thursday, August 9, 2007

What I've Learned about People:

This is a picture of last nights Bible Study. We had a quiet, intimate group with loads of good discussion. I feel have learned that people are people no matter what country you are in. People have hurts, scars, wounds but also they have victories and can be heroic. We have loved getting to know the people in our Bible Study. I believe God brought each of us, including myself to this study. Each person brought their own experiences and knowledge to the group and was willing to open up and be honest about their lives and faith, or lack of faith. I told Bird that I am always amazed that in a small group context how quick people are willing to open up and be honest about themselves. Then I thought, if people are not vulnerable to let other people in then the odds are others in the group will never get to know them. I've learned a lot about vulnerability from my good friend Anthony. I've learned that I like it when others are vulnerable, it makes me feel good like I can speak into their lives. However, I myself even when I think I'm being open an honest with others can keep just enough back to be safe and comfortable in my own walled up city.

I've learned people need friends.
I've learned people need love.
I've learned people want to laugh.
I've learned people want to be noticed.
I've learned people want to be know more about Christianity even if they don't want to be a Christian.
I've learned I am more reserved in evangelism then I thought I was.
I've learned people love a cup of coffee over their theological conversations.
I've learned people will label you no matter what.
I've learned people are beautiful.
I've learned people have a lot more in common with each other then they think.
I've learned people can be trusted.
I've learned people love and hate America.
I've learned that I love and hate America.
I've learned I miss the students at Harbor of Hope.
I've learned that family is the best part of life.
I've learned that my life is more important then my message.
I've learned that Italian food is better than Spanish food.
I've learned that people are what they ingest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned people need Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Good post.